Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Suffering For One's Art

Before I attended grad school at the University of Arkansas in the Fall of 1995, I worked that summer at two jobs: a frame shop and Target retail store. That year was the first of many years working more than one job at a time. In 1995-1996, I was a TA and a student at the same time, AND worked in the slide library, AND later that year, added waiting tables to my list of jobs. I worked all of those jobs concurrently for two years straight. Then, for a year and a half, I pared it down to just being a student and waiting tables. Then, I waited tables and taught at the Art Experience in Fayetteville. THEN, I was a graphic designer at Ozark Natural Foods, a waitress, taught part time at NWACC, AND volunteered and did paid work at the Arts Center of the Ozarks. Most recently, I was Director of Visual Arts at the Arts Center of the Ozarks and taught part time at NWACC concurrently for about 4 and a half years. Keep in mind, my other "job" during all this time (almost 11 years) was being an artist. Finally, I have the two jobs I've always wanted: making art and teaching art, and BOY am I grateful.

How have you paid your dues?

No comments: