Friday, December 09, 2005

Chivalry Isn't Dead

This weekend is a special weekend for me. One of my favorite stories of all time comes to theaters. I'm sure you've probably heard more than your share of p.r. about The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but I'll still share my story in relation to the book. From the time I was 7 to 29, I had a personal tradition of reading the book every November. I started it when I was seven because I was captivated by the story-telling and the imagery, so much so that I would sit in my grandfather's wardrobe and wait for the back to open up into a whole other world, while people were in the other room socializing. I would sit there for a long time, smelling the cherry wood and grandpa's clothes, and I would close my eyes and push on the back and hope against hope that something would open up, and I would be near the lamp post and greeted by Mr. Tumnus, the faun. Obviously, that didn't happen.

1979 was also the first time I saw a film adaptation of the story--or rather, a cartoon. It was very groovy, but not very satisfying overall. Something about the cartoon genre, simple doesn't do the imagination justice. It was a Children's Television Workshop (the same people who bring us Sesame Street) production and was shown on primetime television. It was quirky, and choppy, and all the characters were wearing bell-bottoms (because that was the fashion trend in Narnia).

Later, in 1988, I got my hopes up to see a BBC production of the story on PBS. Ultimately, I was very disappointed because the animatronics were just plain sad. The cast was really the best thing about that production, especially the White Witch, who was played by Barbara Kellerman.


This weekend, however, the film finally comes to life, thanks to C.G.I and Disney. I'm glad Disney is making this film, but I had wished Peter Jackson would have done it, but I'm sure he was more than busy with re-making another one of my favorite stories in film (and I'm sure by this point, he's medievaled-out). What I have seen of this film in previews is spectacular and just how I have imagined it over the span of my life. I know it will add to my enjoyment of my next reading of the story, and not take away from it.
In 7th grade, at the Lutheran school I attended, our English teacher had us read the story and dissect it according to Christian iconography. I still remember what he taught us (he was that good of a teacher), but I could take or leave the interpretation because I felt the story stood well on its own, just as an adventure and a fantasy. So, with this in mind, I was not surprised that the mainline evangelical protestant churches were latching onto this film and even having their own special showings in their own congregations. It has always been common belief in these churches that the books were chock full of Christian symbolism and that C.S. Lewis is one of the Christian churches most famous converts from atheism (The book he wrote about his conversion is titled, "Surprised by Joy."). There are several points to make (not to undervalue the symbolism) regarding these issues. One is that the archetypes found in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, are not only connected with the archetypes in Christianity, but those same Christian archetypes are also found in other religions and mythologies. Another point to make is that C.S. Lewis was really always interested in chivalry. He was interested in it before he became a Christian. The philosophy of Medieval Chivalry itself is derived from early Church doctrine regarding the sacrifice of Christ (the hero/knight) for the bride (church/maiden). Epic quests and battles are always included in the medieval stories of chivalry. There is also magic (miracles). So, in a way, C.S. Lewis's interest in chivalry may have paved the way for him to develop his view of Christianity.
It is also no surpise that the film is so wildly popular with mainline evangelicals at this point in history, because of their (not all of the churches, but a lot) current focus on battles and the "end times" (which one could argue is a psychological outgrowth of living in a country at war in the first place). The story is about a final battle between good and evil and the return of a King. Technically, in terms of religious cultural history, this film couldn't have come out at a better time. I'm 100% certain that Disney will make a mint (yet again) on this film.
All of this being said, I am still glad that it is being done for my own personal, nostalgic reasons. I'm going to avoid the rush this weekend and see it next weekend with a friend and I can't wait. Here are some pictures from the film:


I honestly don't think there is a better choice for the White Witch than Tilda Swinton.


Read a biography of C.S. Lewis's life here.

See this movie if you haven't yet.



© Stephanie Lewis, 2005

No comments: