Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Wonder Horse


The other night at the 5 x 5 exhibition, one of my former students presented me with a gift. He was one of my first students at NWACC. A few years ago, in my drawing class, I had students bring still life items for the class to draw from. One day, he showed up with the Wonderhorse. I had very nostalgic feelings about the Wonderhorse that he brought. It was the EXACT model I had when I was small. I spent hours upon hours riding the spring-mounted horse in my basement when I was a child until I got too big to ride it.

Two nights ago, toward the end of the exhibition, he came waltzing into the room with the Wonderhorse under his arm. He had tied a bow around its neck and handed it to me. The horse was somewhat worse-for-wear, having a broken leg in an attached ziploc bag and the rear, a wooden support, and the wooden hand grips missing. I stood around for a few minutes with it under my arm surrounded by the inquisitive glances of the exhibition attendees. Later, I carried it out of the ACO and took it home with me.

I was a little concerned about what I was going to do with the horse since my house is very full of art and artifacts. I decided I'd put it in a prominent place on top of my kitchen cabinets under a 9-foot ceiling. I now see it immediately when I walk in the room and am reminded of happy times in my childhood. It was a very nice and thoughtful gift.


No comments: